Wednesday 4 May 2011

Evaluation Part Two - Our Products as a Package

How effective is the combination of your main product and the ancillary texts?"

Through my research, I found that its quite rare to find artists in the pop genre who have a direct connection between their music videos and albums, unlike films where the posters, billboards, trailers and adverts all correlate with one another. For example, Katy Perry's album is called 'One of the Boys' but the colours and mis en scene used are quite feminine. She's pictured outside in a garden, yet none of the songs in the album have anything to do with this! I think a lot of album work tends to reflect the artist's personality rather than the songs that are on it. The images used for single CDs on the other hand are more likely to reflect the song, for example Ellie Goulding's CD cover for 'Starry Eyed' uses a lot of stars and sparkly images which is not only very similar to the title of the song but is also similar to to the music video for the song.

As I created a digipak for an album, I decided to stick to the conventions that I had found in my research and used plain backgrounds. Because the photos we had taken for our ancillary tasks were taken on the day that we had filmed a scene, it meant that the pictures used in my digipak looked similar to the performance shots in the video, which could be seen as developing a convention of real media text. I feel that this is a good development as it shows consistency between advertisement and the music video which allows the audience understand clearly that it's all part of the same package.





Above is a screen shot from my music video and the back cover of my CD ancillary task. They both show Emma stood performing on stage in the same outfit.

Our target audience is girls aged around 12 - 14, an age group that is associated with innocence but with a cheeky, mischievous edge. We tried to convey this behaviour throughout our video and our photoshoot, as we felt it would appeal to our audience. For example, in the video, Emma comes across quite smiley when she is on her own but 'stroppy' and more annoyed when she is around her friend. In our photoshoot, we asked Emma to pose with a hand on her hip and singing into the microphone, which gives off the impression that she's quite confident and outspoken. I feel that the video and ancillary task both portray the way that our target audience behave accurately, but also quite positively. I used dark backgrounds throughout my ancillary tasks as I thought it was the colour that produced the best quality work, and also used a light purple, dark purple and grey colour scheme for every part of my digipak. This was because it looked quite feminine without looking childish. I also used vintage brushes in the background to make the covers look less plain but creating a feminine feel at the same time. The colours and brushes I used could've made the CD look like it appeals to an older age group, but I think because the pictures we used were quite fun and happy looking which makes it look a lot less serious and more friendly, making it suitable for our target audience.




The above pictures are examples of how we made the character in our music video and ancillary task look innocent and friendly but quite cheeky and confident at the same time. I did this as it'd make her appeal more strongly to my target audience.

The poster I produced is very similar to the rest of my digipak, creating more consistency throughout my work. The only difference with my poster is that I used a different font. This was because the font was quite bold and I thought it would be good at drawing attention. Its also very similar to the font used by Rolling Stone music magazine which means that if someone looked at the poster, they'd probably think of music almost straight away.

I think that keeping some kind of consistency throughout the music video & ancillary task is useful, as it means that straight away you can look at one piece of work and know that it relates to another piece, even if its just a font or a colour scheme. Its also a good way of trending and promoting something if consistency is used as it makes it easily recognisable and people can familiarise themselves with the products.

No comments:

Post a Comment